Sunday, February 17, 2013

Kate's Birthday Party (No Recipe Here!)

At my job, I plan events for the community. Most of them involve families and children, and they have all gone pretty well with only a few hiccups here and there.

However, I have never planned a birthday party. When my aunt asked me to plan my cousin's party I said yes because don't I do this for a living?

The planning stage was a lot of fun. Kate wanted a mermaid theme so we decided to have one hour at the house and the other at the pool. I bought decorations, food, supplies for crafts. I made cupcakes, mini sandwiches, popcorn. I created a treasure hunt, and made crowns for the girls to decorate. It was a lot of fun to plan and decorate the house and cook the food. I loved it. I thought "people should hire me to plan birthday parties!"

The actual party was a different story. Don't let anyone tell you that 12 screaming 6 and 7-year-old girls in one room is a piece of cake (pun intended). They made a huge mess, ran around kicking balloons everywhere, and decided they didn't like the food after eating most of it.

I think that in the end, they did have fun, but I was so exhausted that I slept for 13 hours that night!

[PS I'll be posting the cupcake recipe later today!]










2 comments:

  1. Don't take it personally if 7 year olds tell you they don't like the food. They are only doing what 7 year olds do. And they won't remember the food, they'll just remember what a fun party it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you ever considered changing the layout of your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?
    beverly hills wedding venues

    ReplyDelete